Today’s blog is all about food prep (and the candida diet I’ve been trying!). I’ve written about food prep before, but I’ve been eating pretty differently in the last few months…because I think I have candida. This is basically an overgrowth of yeast in your gut which is very difficult to get rid of.
Like I said, I’m experimenting with a candida diet, which is basically no sugar, no yeast, no carbs. I’m mainly a plant-based eater, so carbs are usually a huge part of my diet. Having to change it up was really challenging, but also kind of a blessing because it really made me get creative!
I’ve been reading a ton about candida and the benefits of a lower sugar, higher fat diet…and I actually really like it. A year ago, I did a video talking about how I didn’t like the keto diet because I was not one to promote so much animal fat. But if you do a lower sugar, higher fat diet in a HEALTHY way, it’s actually really beneficial. Here’s a rundown of some of the benefits:
- Great for your hormones. Sugar intake affects your insulin and cortisol levels. Higher fat diets do not trigger that release.
- Can lead to weight loss. This is not why I did it, but I actually have noticed that I’ve lost a little weight.
- Great for brain health & focus. Even in the 1920’s, people were using high fat diets to help kids respond better to medications for epilepsy. Your brain is made up of fat, so healthy fats can be so good for you.
My food prep is definitely different than most “fitness people” who do exact meals and portions. We’re not counting calories, we’re not doing any of that. It’s more about having easy access to more grab-and-go options for me. Here are my tips:
- Wash your greens. Put them through the salad spinner to get the moisture out, then put them in a produce bin to help draw out any extra moisture – this keeps them from going bad quickly and makes salad super easy to throw together.
- Wash and cut up veggies. I keep lots of veggies ready-to-go for my juicer or to throw in whatever I’m making.
- Organize your pantry. I keep everything in airtight glass jars so that I can see what everything is. A clean and clear aesthetic will make you want to eat healthier!
I know food prep seems like a lot of work at first, but it saves you so much time and money in the long run. If you’re interested in lower sugar and lower carb food prep, I share some of my favorite recipes in this blog! xx