If you love acai bowls, but find they can get a little expensive, here’s how easy it is to make them at home in under 10 minutes!
A lot of times all the added stuff, the kind of acai or the quality of it can make a store-bought bowl not as healthy, but acai on its own has ZERO sugar! There are no other fruits that have zero sugar (avocados excluded). The 5-6 grams of HEALTHY fat in a pack of acai make it a heart-healthy choice too.
On top of that, acai is amazing for your skin! When it comes to acai, think antioxidants, and when you think antioxidants, think anti-aging, brightening and wrinkle-preventing.
To find fresh acai is VERY rare since it’s from the Amazon and goes bad very quickly. You can find it instead in little frozen packages.
Eaten by itself, acai tastes a little bitter, so you can sweeten it with banana or whatever you want to use! When you buy the acai at the store, make sure you buy one that is unsweetened, raw and NATURAL. Now let’s get blending.
Frozen acai packet
Non-dairy milk of choice (e.g. almond, coconut, cashew)
- Add acai, frozen banana (start with half) and non-dairy milk to a blender.
- Blend on low until smooth.
- Top with strawberries, shredded coconut, or whatever you like!
Tips & Tricks:
- I let the acai thaw in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes first, but for a thicker consistency, use the acai straight from the freezer!
- Peel bananas before freezing.
- Don’t put a lot of milk in at first: too much = too runny
- Add berries or even protein powder to make it your own! (I always say not to combine fruit with protein, but acai is the exception! Its higher fat content makes it slower to digest.)
- Try topping with buckwheat groats for an added crunch without the extra sugar hiding in most granolas.
This is such a simple recipe you can make at home! Please comment if you have any other simple recipes you would like for me to share!