If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast alternative that will keep you full and give you energy throughout the WHOLE morning, keep reading for the easiest, yummiest smoothie recipe.
This is kind of a play off my morning glowing skin smoothie, but we’re adding in a little more antioxidant, giving it a little more oomph to keep you fuller and adding plant-based protein …I think I might even like this one better.
- 1 cup organic baby kale (lightly packed)
- 2 cups organic spinach (lightly packed)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup water
- 1 banana
- 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp of juice)
- ½ cup organic raspberries
- ½ cup organic strawberries
About the Ingredients
I know that organic can get a little pricier, and I don’t think that all food has to be organic, but I would really try to make sure that your greens and berries are organic.
I always like to do coconut water and regular water because coconut water is amazing for your skin and I like the added electrolytes – this is especially good for pre-workout (nature’s Gatorade). If you don’t have coconut water, regular water is completely fine.
Another thing I love about this is that you’re getting in so many greens. If you don’t like raw greens, it’s so easy to get them in in the morning …and this is more than most people will get in their full day (and you don’t even notice it).
Berries are pretty much the #1 skin food. I love adding them in because I love having my fruit in the morning. Remember, fruit is always best eaten on its own.
Spirulina is one of the best plant-based sources of protein. Don’t be alarmed by the smell! It’s in the same family as wheatgrass, algae and chlorella, so sometimes sea vegetables can have a little bit of that ocean smell. It doesn’t taste the way it smells, but especially mixed into this smoothie, you won’t even notice it’s there. Spirulina and chlorella each have their own properties, but spirulina has more protein – also why this can be an amazing pre-workout drink.
- Add kale, spinach, coconut water and water to a blender. Blend (starting at low and getting higher) until you can’t see any chunks of greens.
- Juice the lemon and add it to the blender, along with the banana, raspberries, strawberries and spirulina. Blend THOROUGHLY, and enjoy.
- Always blend your greens in water first, so you don’t taste chunks of greens in your smoothie.
- The riper the banana, the better (easier to digest and more antioxidants).
- Use the ENTIRE lemon because it gives the smoothie this sweet, tanginess that will completely block out any green taste.
- Use a lemon juicer to get more of the liquid out and avoid getting seeds in the smoothie.
You guys have to try this smoothie because it’s so good. It’s such a great way to mask healthy ingredients that might not necessarily have the best taste on their own.