Ok, so I’m finally posting this highly requested lemon / cayenne / stevia / water recipe that I showed you guys on my last Insta Live. I literally just snapped the pic above, those are the mason jars I made during my live segment! I still have 3 left :)
This drink was inspired by the “Slim Master” at Kreation Kafe. I have been buying this drink from Kreation for years, and every time I check out I think to myself “Am I really spending the same amount of money on lemon water that I would on a cold pressed, organic green juice?” Yet, I paid for it every time. However, with the help of my friend Erica, we’ve figured out our own variation of the recipe, and it’s just as good!
One thing I want to emphasize is making this in bulk. That was actually the whole theme to my Instagram Live: finding ways to simplify your wellness routine. This is SO IMPORTANT. Think about it, you probably don’t have a problem drinking lemon water in the morning… it’s just the process of slicing the lemon, adding the cayenne, and not making a mess when you have about 30 seconds to get out of the door. Making this in bulk has been a complete game changer for me.
Why you should drink this in the morning:
What you put in your body first thing in the morning is so important. When you’re sleeping, your body is in a natural state of detox. It’s the one period of time that you’re not making it “work,” whether that’s from digesting food (especially processed food that’s full of toxins) or outside pollutants. For this reason, it’s incredibly important to be gentle on your body when you wake up. It’s FINALLY gotten a chance to rest and reboot, so the first thing you consume will be digested and absorbed the most at this time of day.
- Immune-boosting (this drink is packed with Vitamin C which will help you fight off infection)
- Liver cleansing (this is extremely important, because your liver is responsible for metabolizing almost everything you consume)
- Alkalinizing (the more alkaline you can keep your blood pH, the healthier)
- Slimming (the more cleansed and detoxed your body is, the more it can get rid of fat and build up that’s making you hold onto extra weight. The cayenne pepper also helps here by heating up your body, boosting metabolism, improving digestion, and curbing cravings).
With that said, here are the 2 recipes:
Recipe 1: Batch of cold lemon water
- The juice of 3 medium sized lemons
- 1/4-1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 TBSP Stevia
- 16 OZ mason jars
- 8 cups water
- Add all ingredients to blender, and blend on level 1.
- Gradually increase to 2 or 3, just until the water starts to turn a peach color (almost looks like grapefruit juice).
- Add the mixture to the mason jars and refrigerate
I like to make 6 at a time because it looks nice in my refrigerator (I’m not kidding). When things are organized and in order it makes it a more pleasant experience, so when I see them lined up I like grabbing one in the morning! It might sound weird, but this is what works for me :) I would recommend making 5 or 6 at a time, and putting them in your refrigerator. It’s similar to food prepping… when it’s all laid out, its less work you have to do.
One thing to note is that warm lemon water is the most effective. It’s more soothing for your body versus cold water. I just prefer cold because I can make them in batches. Another option is to take the mason jar out of the fridge in the morning and let it come to room temperature before drinking. You could even take it with you to go, and drink it once you get to work. Either way you can’t go wrong with this drink, warm or cold.
Recipe 2: Warm lemon water
Like I mentioned, warm water with lemon is even better for you than drinking it cold. The only thing with this is you obviously can’t make it in batches, because you have to warm up your water in the morning. Here is the recipe I personally use:
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 8 OZ hot water
- Dash of cayenne
- Warm the water on your stove, and then pour it into a mug.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice, and sprinkle in a little cayenne. Ready to drink.
I use one lemon because I’m a lemon freak. Really, I can eat lemons like oranges (it’s a Persian thing, I think). Using ½ lemon is perfectly fine as well. I recommend sprinkling in a little cayenne, mixing it with a spoon, then trying it. A little cayenne goes a long way, so just test it out and see what you can handle! No exact measurement needed since you’re not making this in a big batch. :)