Today I want to talk about skincare for your body. A lot of times we neglect our bodies because we’re so focused on the face. I like to incorporate little tricks to make my skin have more of that glow, especially in the summer if you’re wearing backless tops, shorts or skirts. Dull skin not only isn’t as cute, it’s also a sign that your skin isn’t healthy. I’m going to share some practices you can incorporate before the shower, some products and a few extra tips.
Here are my clean, cost-effective and super efficient tips in the same order you should use them:
- Dry Brushing. This is exactly what it sounds like – brushing your skin when it’s DRY. The benefits of this include:
- Lymphatic drainage- the circulation system of toxins
- Exfoliation- so important for getting rid of dry skin and helping you produce new, fresh skin
How to: Brush in circular motions for 3-4 minutes BEFORE getting in the shower. Use on your legs, arms and chest.
- Exfoliator. IN the shower, I use a physical exfoliator, focusing on my legs and arms. You will notice a difference after one time – your skin will be so much softer and smoother.
I really like the Perfect Legs 100% Natural Scrub by This Works because it has a pink himalyan salt in it and feels really silky as it goes on. This is the first thing I do when I get in the shower.
- Shower Filter. This obviously depends on where you live. If you live somewhere with super fresh, clean water that you can drink right out of the sink, this might not apply to you. Here in L.A., our water isn’t the cleanest, so having the shower filter has made a big difference on my hair and skin. I use the Vitamin C & Essential Oil Filtered Shower Head by Vitaclean. I love that this adds essential oils because it makes it even more moisturizing, you can pick which one you want and it gives your shower a really nice scent. The aromatherapy is relaxing and it’s a great experience overall.
- Moisturizer. OUT of the shower, having a really good moisturizer is so important. I’m currently obsessed with Necessaire’s The Body Lotion- it’s not scented and feels super clean, but it’s the perfect combination of unscented and hydrating.
It also has the hero ingredients: marula, cacay and meadowfoam. Marula oil is so amazing- it’s got oleic and omega-6. Think of marula almost like an olive oil, but less messy. Cacay helps your cells produce new cells, so while we’re exfoliating and getting rid of the old, dead skin cells, we want to make sure we’re producing new, healthy skin cells to keep us looking young and vibrant. Cacay also has vitamin E, which is super hydrating and helps protect your skin barrier and keep moisture in. Meadowfoam has so many different vitamins- all really great for your skin.
Necessaire also has a body wash that’s amazing, so I definitely recommend trying both of those.
Additional Tip #1:
Look into almond oil. It’s really good for cooling your skin, but also moisturizing it. In the summer months, a lot of times people like to put sun tan oil on their legs …which I despise because it’s not protecting you, it’s giving you more sun damage. But if you put a little almond oil on your skin, it will give you a really nice sheen, but also help cool your body internally.
Additional Tip #2:
Bring everything you put on your face (all the more expensive serums, moisturizers, etc.) down to your neck, chest and shoulders. Trust me, you will thank yourself in five years. After the shower is the one time I’ll do it- I usually use a hydrating mist, whatever serums I’m using, sunscreen, oxygen spray …I bring it all down to my neck and chest.
Those were my quick tips for body skincare. I definitely recommend caring about your body, especially in the summer- you’ll see much softer, glowier skin, your tan will look better, and everything will look smoother.